A little bit about myself.
telicat77: These are also in the previous book I collected the other wise sayings from. I'll put it in my blog also.
SAFE PRINCIPLES AND RULES
1. Remember that time is gold.
2. True intelligence is always modest.
3. Never covet what is not your own.
4. Don't cultivate a sense of over-smartness.
5. A man of honor respects his word as he does his note.
6. Shun lawsuits, and never take money risks that you can avoid.
7. Endeavor to be perfect in the calling in which you are engaged.
8. Keep your eyes on small expenses. Small leaks sink a great ship.
9. Keep your health good by adopting regular and steady habits.
10. Never forget a favor, for ingratitude is the basest trait of a man's mean character.
11. Remember that the rich are generally plain, while rogues dress well and talk smoothly.
12. Remember that steady, earnest effort alone leads to wealth and high position.
13. Never be afraid to say no. Every successful man must have the backbone to assert his rights.
14. Avoid the tricks of trade; be honest, and never misrepresent an article that you desire to sell.
15. The only safe rule is, never to allow a single year to pass by without laying up something for the future.
16. Remember that trickery, cheating and indolence are never found as attributes of a thrifty and progressive man.
17. Do not be ashamed of hard work. Work for the best salary or wages you can get, but work for anything rather than to be idle.
18. Be not ashamed to work, for it is one of the conditions of our existence. There is no criminal who does not owe his crime to some idle hour.
19. To industry and economy add self-reliance. Do not take too much advice, think for yourself. Independence will add vigor and inspiration to your labors.
GOOD BUSINESS MAXIMS.
1. Goods well bought are half sold.
2. Write a good, plain, legible hand.
3. Keep your word as good as a bank.
4. Goods in store are better than bad debts.
5. Never refuse a choice when you can get it.
6. Never take any chances on another man's game.
7. Never sign a paper without first reading it carefully.
8. Never gamble or take chances on the Board of Trade.
9. Remember that an honest man is the noblest work of God
10. Your first ambition should be the acquisition of knowledge pertaining to your business.
11. Of two investments, choose that which will best promote your regular business.
12. By prosecuting a useful business energetically, humanity is benefited.
13. Keep accurate accounts, and know the exact condition of your affairs.
14. Be economical; a gain usually requires expense; what is saved is clear.
15. Endeavor to be perfect in the calling in which you are engaged.
16. Never fail to meet a business engagement, however irksome it may be at that moment.
17. Never sign a paper for a stranger. Think nothing insignificant which has a bearing upon your success.
18. Avoid litigation as much as possible, study for yourself the theory of commercial law, and be your own lawyer.
19. Undertake no business without mature reflection, and confine your capital closely to the business you "have established.
20. Lead a regular life, avoid display, and choose your associates discreetly, and prefer the society of men of your own type.
21. Be affable, polite, and obliging to everybody; avoid discussions, anger, and pettishness; interfere with no disputes the creation of others.
22. Never misrepresent, falsify, or deceive; have one rule of moral life, never swerve from it. whatever may be the acts or opinions of other men
23. Make no investments without a full acquaintance with their nature and condition; and select such investments as have intrinsic value.
24. Never run down a neighbor's property or goods and praise up your own. It is a mark of low breeding, and will gain you nothing.
25. Above all things, acquire a good, correct epistolary style, for you are judged by the business world according to the character, expression, and style of your letters.
26. During business hours attend to nothing but business, but be prompt in responding to all communications, and never suffer a letter to remain without an answer.
27. Never form the habit of talking about your neighbors, or repeating things that you hear others say. You will avoid much unpleasantness, and sometimes serious difficulties.
28. Finally, examine carefully every detail of your business. Be prompt in everything. Take time to consider, and then decide positively. Dare to go forward. Bear troubles patiently. Be brave in the struggle of life. Maintain your integrity as a sacred thing. Never tell business lies. Make no useless acquaintances. Never appear something more than you are. Pay your debts promptly. Shun strong liquor. Employ our time well. Never be discouraged. Then work hard and you will succeed.
GENIUS, CAPITAL, SKILL, LABOR
Here is a comparative table of genius, capital, skill and labor, on the mutual basis of the almighty dollar.
Genius. The power that enabled Tennyson to take a piece of paper and make it worth sixty-five thousand dollars by writing a poem on it.
Capital. The ability to write a few words on a sheet
of paper and make it worth five million dollars, as a Vanderbilt can do.
Skill. The ability to take twenty-five cents! worth of steel and make it into watch-springs worth fourteen thousand dollars, as a mechanic can do.
Labor. The act of working ten hours a day and shoveling three or four tons of earth for $1.50, as the ditcher does.
telicat77: The Gospel of Sunshine. Has a Bible verse about "light" for every day of the year. See the rest in my blog.
telicat77: I have some amazing wise sayings in my blog, here is a sample
TO SCHOLARSHIP IS FINE; BUT IT DOES NOT ATONE FOR ILL BREEDING
DO YOU WISH MEN TO SPEAK WELL OF YOU THEN NEVER SPEAK WELL OF YOURSELF
NOT WHAT COMES INTO A MAN'S HAND, BUT WHAT
HE SAVES FROM SLIPPING THROUGH, ENRICHES HIM
IF LITTLE LABOR, LITTLE ARE OUR GAINS
MAN'S FORTUNES ARE ACCORDING TO HIS PAINS
POSSESSION IS NINE POINTS OF THE LAW
ALWAYS BE PUNCTUAL AT THE TIME APPOINTED
REST NOT, LIFE IS SWEEPING BY
GO AND DARE BEFORE YOU DIE
SHUN ALL TEMPTATIONS TO ILLICIT GAIN
CONSCIENCE AND WEALTH ARE NOT ALWAYS NEIGHBORS
THE DAY NEVER BECOMES BRIGHTER FINDING FAULT WITH THE SUN
SOME MEN ARE FRIGHTENED AT THEIR SINS OTHERS ARE HUMBLED, AND RUN FROM THEM
WHAT YOU DO NOT NEED DEAR AT A PENNY
A GOOD NAME IS BETTER THAN BAGS OF GOLD
THE EXCESSES OF YOUTH ARE DRAFTS ON OLD AGE
PAYABLE WITH DRAFTS THIRTY YEARS AFTER THE DATE
A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE
CONSTANT OCCUPATION PREVENTS TEMPTATION
DEPENDENCE IS A POOR TRADE TO FOLLOW
POLITENESS GOES FAR, YET COSTS NOTHING
BE THAT GOES A-BORROWING GOES A-SORROWING
MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES
GOD HELPS THOSE THAT HELP THEMSELVES
WILFUL WASTE MAKES WOEFUL WANT
THE GREATEST WEALTH IS CONTENTMENT WITH LITTLE
SORROW WILL PAY NO DEBT
QUICK RETURNS MAKE RICH MERCHANTS
MIS-RECKONING IS NO PAYMENT
OUT OF DEBT, OUT OF DANGER
NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING WON
EVERYTHING VENTURED, NOTHING HAD
THERE IS NO COMPASSION L1KE THE PENNY
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
DEPEND NOT ON FORTUNE BUT ON CONDUCT
LEARN TO LIVE, AND LIVE TO LEARN
LICENSE IS ONE THING, LIBERTY ANOTHER
EVERY DAY 1S A LITTLE LIFE
PHILOSOPHER'S STONE: PAY AS YOU GO
FORTUNE OFTEN LEADS TO FOLLY
CHARACTER IS NOT INSURABLE
LUCK IS AN IGNIS FATUUS
POUND OF CARE WILL NOT PAY AN OUNCE OF DEBT
TOO LATE TO SPARE WHEN ALL IS SPENT
EVERY DONKEY LOVES TO HEAR HIMSELF BRAY
GROWTH IS BETTER THAN PERMANENCE
PERMANENT GROWTH IS BETTER THAN ALL
IF YOU WANT A THING WELL DONE, DO IT FOR YOURSELF
BETTER SET TEN MEN TO WORK THAN TO DO TEN MEN'S WORK
ONE THING AT A TIME
ALWAYS PAY A HUNDRED CENTS ON THE DOLLAR
PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE
EVERY MAN'S LIFE A PLAN OF GOD
A MAN GETS ONLY WHAT HE EARNS
ETERNAL VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE OF SUCCESS
MAKE YOURSELF INDISPENSABLE
TIME AND TIDE WAIT FOR NO MAN
TAKE TIME BY THE FORELOCK
GIVE NO ADVICE WITHOUT BEING ASKED
IF ANYBODY EVER DID IT, I CAN DO IT
ALWAYS IN HASTE, BUT NEVER IN A HURRY
KNOW EVERYTHING OF SOMETHING, KNOW SOMETHING OF EVERYTHING
NO SUCH WORD AS FAIL
WORTH IS NOT TAILOR-MADE
SUNSHINE IN THE HEART KEEPS WRINKLES OUT OF THE FACE
HAVE A WORK. AIM AT IT, HIT IT
SHOT AT VENTURE NEVER HIT
EVERY MAN FOR THE GOOD OF ALL
OF TWO EVILS CHOOSE NEITHER
ABSTAIN FROM EVERY FORM OF EVIL
FOR WEALTH IS SELLING ONE'S LIBERTY
BEGIN EVERYTHING AT THE RIGHT END
RUST ROTS THAT WHICH USE PRESERVES
SAY NOT "'TIS IMPOSSIBLE’”
BE NOT SLOTHFUL IN BUSINESS
BEAR YE ONE ANOTHER'S BURDENS
BE NOT DISTURBED ABOUT TRIFLES
LET ALL YOUR THINGS HAVE THEIR PLACES
LET EACH PART OF YOUR BUSINESS HAVE ITS TIME
RESOLVE TO PERFORM WHAT YOU OUGHT
PERFORM WITHOUT FAIL WHAT YOU RESOLVE
OMIT NOT THE BENEFITS THAT ARE YOUR DUTY
AVOID EXTREMES, FORBEAR RESENTING INJURIES
THE MAN WHO IS IN DEBT CARRIES A WORLD OF TROUBLE
WATER SEEKS ITS LEVEL, SO DO BRAINS
NOTHING DECEIVES LIKE DISHONEST FIGURES
DO GOOD UNTO ALL MEN
BE SURE YOU CAN OBEY GOOD LAWS
BEFORE YOU TRY TO ALTER POOR ONES
NO SECRET OF SUCCESS BUT WORK
FEW MEN CAN ENDURE GREAT SUCCESS
GREAT SUCCESS TURNS MOST MEN'S HEADS
HAVE ONE GOOD BUSINESS AND STICK TO IT
CONTENTMENT IS GETTER THAN RICHES
WHAT MAN HAS DONE MAN CAN DO
DOE YE NEXTE THYNGR
NEVER GIVE UP ONE JOB UNTIL YOU GET ANOTHER
STICK TO YOUR FRIENDS IN ADVERSITY
ALL MEN ARE EQUAL, IF UPRIGHT AND HONEST
ETERNITY HAS NO GRAY HAIRS
NOW IS THE DAY, AND NOW IS THE HOUR
MANY A LITTLE MAKES A NICKLE
ORDER IS HEAVEN'SFIRST LAW
BETTER TO DESERVE SUCCESS THAN TO BAVS IT
FAITHFUL IN LEAST, FAITHFUL IN MUCH
MAKE EVERY ARTICLE RELIABLE
TRUST IN GOD AND KEEP TOUR POWDER DRY
THE TRUTH WILL OUT
DISHONEST MEN CONCEAL THEIR FAULTS, HONEST MEN KNOW AND CONFESS THEM
GAMBLING IS AS FASCINATING AS A RATTLESNAKE
THROW DICE, BUT THROW THEM AWAY
A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED
ALWAYS READ BEFORE SIGNING
AN IDLE BRAIN BREEDS IDLE THOUGHTS
PERSEVERANCE CONQUERS ALL THINGS
BEWARE OF STRANGERS WHO OFFER YOU GREAT INDUCEMENTS. BEWARE! BEWARE!! BEWARE!!!
SPARE MOMENTS ARE THE GOLD DUST OF TIME
WORK AND VOTE AS YOU TALK AND PRAY
COUNT THE DA Y LOST WHOSE LOW DESCENDING SEES
VIEWS FROM THY HAND NO WORTHY ACTION DONE
DON'T TRY TO GET SOMETHING FOE NOTHING
STEADY APPLICATION, "PEGGING AT IT "
TOIL AND HOPE IN EARLY LIFE
EVERY TUB MUST STAND ON ITS OWN BOTTOM
HONOR AND PROFIT ARE NOT ALWAYS IN THE SAME SACK
THERE IS ALWAYS WORK FOR SKILLED HANDS
TO HIM THAT HA'IH SHALL BE GIVEN
"THERE ARE TOO MANY DOGS," SAID A CUR, "NOT TOO MANY GOOD ONES," REPLIED A SETTER
THE HEARTS THAT DARE ARE QUICK TO FEEL
FATHER TIME ISSUES NO LETTERS OF CREDIT
GOOD NATURE IS THE BEAUTY OF THE MIND
LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, OR POLISH UP THE DARK ONE
A THOUGHT AT THE START SA VES A GROAN AT THE END
WHO COMES LATE STAYS HALF AT HOME
FAITHLESS TO HOMESPUN, DISLOYAL TO BROADCLOTH
PULLING ANOTHER DOWN MEANS GETTING BELOW HIM
HAPPINESS SHINES IN ALL WEATHER
THINK OUT TOUR WORK, WORK OUT YOUR THOUGHTS
LOOSE LAW AT HOME MEANS LYNCH LAW ABROAD
A COURTESY POSTPONED IS A JOY DETHRONED
A CORN-COB STOPPER DON'T HURT MILK IN A JUG
BETTER SAW WOOD WELL THAN PLEAD LAW POORLY
NO PAINS, NO GAINS
MANY A SLIP BETWEEN THE CUP AND THE LIP
HARD LABOR PREVENTS HARD LUCK
DIRT IS DIRTIEST UPON THE FAIREST SPOTS
"NOW" IS ON THE BANNER OF THE PRUDENT
FRICTION WEARS OUT MACHINERY
WORRY NOT WORK, USES UP MEN
MAN DESIRES LONG LIFE BUT NO MANY WOULD BE OLD
A FAT KITCHEN MAKES A LEAN WILL
RUNNING AFTER A SHADOW IS A WEARISOME RACE
CONTENTMENT MAKES THE POOREST MAN RICH
DISCONTENT MAKES THE MILLIONAIRE POOR
NEVER QUIT CERTAINTY FOR HOPE
LITTLE AND OFTEN FILLS THE PURSE
HOW TO FIND THE NUMBER OF COMMON BRICKS IN
A WALL OR BUILDING
THOUGHT IS MORTAR; DEEDS ARE STONE
TO BE AN HONEST MAN IS THE MASTER CRAFT
NEVER PROMISE WHAT YOU CANNOT FULFIL
ILL GOTTEN GOODS SELDOM PROSPER
THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM
THE EARLY WORM IS A VICTIM OF THE EARLY BIRD
SH1NE AS LIGHTS IN THE DARK
BUT DO NOT PUT THE CANDLE IN A DRAUGHT
A BUSINESS WILL RUN ITSELF ONLY ONE WAY
GRAVITY IS ALWAS DOWNWARD
BETWEEN IDLENESS AND OVERWORK LIES THE
FIGURES DON’T LIE IF LIARS DON’T FIGURE
I CAN PUMP ANY TUNE THE ORGANIST CAN PLAY
THE MOUNTAIN OF SUCCESS DOES NOT COME TO US
WE MUST GO TO IT STEP BY STEP
WOULD YOU LIVE LONG WORK HARD
LITTLE STROKES FELL LARGE OAKS
HE THAT WOULD THRIVE MUST RISE AT FIVE
MAN, KNOW THY WORK AND DO IT
IF NO WEALES, TRY AN OIL WELL
THE STAGE ROUTE IS STOPPED, STRIKE FOR THE CARS
A YOUNG MAN IDLE -- AN OLD MAN NEEDY
ONLY THE ACTIVE CAN HOPE TO SHINE
BICYCLE RIDERS MOVE OR FALL
DOIING NOTHING IS NEXT NEIGHBOR TO DOING WRONG
A ROCKING-HORSE MAKES MOTION, BUT NO PROGRESS
THE RICH REPROVE THE POOR FOR IDLENESS
DO NOT WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO TURN UP
THOSE WHO DO, ARE LIKELY TO TURN UP IN JAIL
NO ONE WAS EVER LOST ON A STRAIGHT ROAD
CHEERFULNESS IS A DUTY WE OWE TO OTHERS
THE ASS BRATS AT THE DOG FOR BARKING
A WOODEN POT CANNOT OFTEN BE PUT ON THE FIRS.
STEALING TIME MAY BE WORSE THAN STEALING MONEY
BETTER A DONKEY THAT CARRIES YOU THAN A HORSE THAT THROWS YOU
TALKING PAYS NO TOLL.
TREAD ON HOT COALS AND YOUR FEET WILL BE BURNED
A MEAN ACT WILL SOON RECOIL
A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING
TREAT WITH MEN ABOUT BUSINESS AT FIT TIMES
A BOY IS BETTER UNBORN THAN UNTAUGHT
HE THAT GAEZETH THE CLOUDS SHALL NOT REAP
WHO LIES DOWN WITH DOGS RISES WITH FLEAS
TIME TO A BUSINESS MAN IS MONEY
BE PROMPT TO ADMIT AND RECTIFY A WRONG
HE THAT LOVETH WINE AND OIL SHALL NOT BE RICH
JUMP WHILE THE WAVE IS ON THE SWELL
TALL OAKS FROM LITTLE ACORNS GROW
DO THE DUTY THAT LIES NEAREST THEE
IT IS EASY TO BE NOTHING
HOPE FOR THE BEST BUT BE READY FOR THE WORST
THE TABLE ROBS MORE THAN THE THIEF
HIS PLENTY MADE HIM POOR
THEY LOSE THE WORLD WHO BUT IT WITH MUCH CAKE
BE NOT WISE IN THINE OWN EYES
THRIFT IS BLESSING, IF MEN STEAL IT NOT
TIS DEEDS MUST WIN THE PRIZE
THERE IS NO DARKNESS BUT IGNORANCE
TOO LIGHT WINNING MAKES THE PRIZE LIGHT
VIRTUE IS BOLD, AND GOODNESS NEVER FEARFUL
SWEET MERCY IS NOBILITY'S TRUE BADGE
THEY STUMBLE THAT RUN FAST
I WASTED TIME AND NOW DOTH TIME WASTE ME
A PURE CONSCIENCE MAY DEFY GOSSIP
THERE IS NO EDUCATION LIKE ADVERSITY
PLEASURE SHOULD FOLLOW BUSINESS
WHOEVER IS CONTENTED, HE IS RICH
NOT FAILURE, BUT LOW AIM IS CRIME
THOSE CAN CONQUER WHO THINK THEY CAN
FACTS AND FIGURES ARE STUBBORN THINGS
HIS PLENTY MADE HIM POOR
SUCCESS IS OFTEN A CAUSE OF FAILURE
A WELL LIGHTED LAMP MUST BE KEPT FILLED
MOXEY OFTEN MAKES THE MARE RUN AWAY WITH YOU
DO THAT FOR WHICH YOU ARE FITTED
A CHICKEN CANNOT SWIM WITH DUCKS
HUNGER TEACHES MANY THINGS
POVERTY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL ARTS
WISE DON'T WAIT FOR THE WAGON WHILE WALKING 1S GOOD
BET A STOUT HEART AGAINST A STIFF HILL
GOD EXPECTS YOU TO DO YOUR BEST
DO NOT HUNT PARTRIDGES WITH A BAND OF MUSIC
GOLDEN DEEDS MAKE GOLDEN DAYS
A DAY OF WORRY IS WORSE THAN A WEEK OF WORK
FONDNESS OF FAME IS AVARICE OF AIR
DELAYS HAVE DANGEROUS ENDS
EFFORT IS THE PRICE OF CONQUEST
A DAY MISSPENT IS LOST
telicat77: Here is something I wrote a couple years ago. I have a lot of lists like this.
How Do We Remain in a Contrite Heart?
1 Realize it’s about us, no one else comes to mind
2 Remember how often we acted badly
3 Think of all dreams and plans in God’s will that did not come to pass
4 Think of what would have happened for His purpose and Kingdom if they had.
5 Realize often we went astray even when trying to do well – the need to be ever vigilant and watchful.
6 Realize its not truly pain to be in a contrite heart, it avoids pain
7 No other way can we learn to overcome the devil
8 It’s not required all the time but the more of it we have the more we can see truth and improve.
9 We can not grow deeply in the Word unless we have a humility before it to continue in it.
10 We cannot pray as we should if we are not contrite.
telicat77: "A Man Sent from God: A Biography of Robert E. Speer," by W. Reginald Wheeler.
If people are complaining about the lack of good Christian role models today, all one has to do is keep in memory some of the best from the past. Robert Speer was such a man and this book gives an excellent testimony towards about him. This is the author's twelfth book, or thereabouts, so it's written in an excellent style.
It has an amazing work ethic section not to be missed. Here is a part of it, giving rules Robert Speer followed:
Not to be dilatory in commencing the day's main work.
Not to murmur at multitude of business or shortness of time, but to buy up time all around.
Not to groan when the letters are brought in; not even a murmur.
Not to magnify undertaken duties by seeming to suffer under them, but to treat all as liberties and gladnesses.
Not to call attention to crowded work or petty fatigues, or trivial experiences.
Before censuring anyone, obtain from God a real love for them. Be sure that you know, and that you allow all allowances which can be made. Otherwise how ineffective, how perhaps unintelligible, or perhaps provocative, your best meant censure may be.
Oh! how well doth it make for peace to be silent about others, not to believe everything without discernment, and not to go on easily telling things.
Not to seek praise, gratitude, or respect, or regard from superiors or equals on account of age or past service.
Not to feel any uneasiness when my advice or opinion is not ask or is set aside.
Never to let oneself be placed in favorable contrast with another.
To make no remarks from answers to which self-satisfaction is highest; talking of self; seeming singular; hungering for conversation to turn on oneself.
To seek no favor, no compassion: to deserve, not ask for tenderness.
To bear blame rather than share or transmit it.
To endure often, if one's innocence cannot be established without shame to another.
When credit for my own design or execution is given to another, not to be disturbed, but to give thanks.
telicat77: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/ Amazing to keep these headlines before one's mind and fill one's life with these things.
telicat77: I just wanted to tell you why I haven't been on here as much. I was in the Bible Talk room and I told Skywonder I couldn't chat I was busy. She then fired off three questions at me one after the other. I told her that I just said I couldn't chat. She said, "I beg your pardon?" and then unfriended me and blocked me from the from. I then fired off an angry statement to BringaBranga that I meant as much as a joke but I imagine she took it wrong. I need a break from Wireclub.
View all 8 posts
telicat77: No_Talking -- yes, not provoking the zombie in our neighbors is considering externally what they are capable of based on our actions, and of course we only want to encourage gratitude and friendliness towards ourselves.